Monday, February 1, 2010

Walking Around Town

In my motivation to get fit, I've signed up for a 1/2 marathon in St. Louis in April. I'm pretty excited about it. Back in the day, I used to run a lot. The thought occurred to me then that I might enjoy a race of some kind. Before I had a chance to look into training for such an event, I had a life-changing surgery. This was followed by marriage and kids. No more "me time".

Since the race is on a day when the kids are at their Dad's, I knew this was doable. NO excuses. I signed up and paid my money. This means I am now committed to the deal. I went to a site where they (for free) will give you a training schedule. Oh My Word, it is a 14 week schedule. That means I should have started in late December. Yikes, it's February already. I'm a bit late.

So, yesterday I got my butt up from the computer and went for a walk. YAY, me. I was determined to walk for an hour to see where that got me. I was cut short of that and was done in around 35 minutes.

For those of you who know where I live, you are familiar with the GIANT hill outside of my subdivision. I went down that hill, came out near Poppy's walked toward KFC and back up the huge hill. (Like the food references to the route I took?) Ironically, I got a call while at the very bottom of the hill. (This is important to know, because then I could use the clock on my phone to reference how long it took me to walk back up the hill.) It was 2:16pm. When I returned home it was just past 2:35. --YEAH, the hill SUCKS.

Part of point though is that I walked the firt leg, a bit longer than a mile, in over 10 minutes. For my first time out, I don't think that's too bad. Next time, I am going to take that hill down and come from the other direction on my way home which is a much gentler slope to conquer.

I feel pretty good about all of this. If only I hadn't eaten so many of my WPA on Sunday. No worries, it'll work itself out with excercise as it usually does.

Today's diddy: "Don't put off til tomorrow what you can walk off today."

Love in Losing,
Jenny

Ps. Thanks Tracey for inviting me and everyone else to join you in the walk.

1 comment:

infiKnitGirl said...

You're welcome! Will you email me the link to the training schedule you found please?