Wednesday, January 27, 2010

SECRETS to be told that help keep me MOTIVATED

The things I am about to tell you are personal. I will not share this at a meeting, because it is not the WW way. It is not what I would recommend. It is what is working for me now to lose these few pounds I've gained in the past several months. In addition, I have my WW JOB to keep me accountable. The secrets revealed are what kept me accountable when I had a manager who wasn't.

NOTE: I am having a "no hold barred" attitude with the blog this time. If you get offended easily or have a weak stomach, this is not for you. Getting this out helps me. If it helps you too, then great.

Things for me are different now than when I lost my weight as a non-service provider. I'm not sure why; they just are. One difference is that when I was losing my weight "back in the day", I did NOT have a scale at home. The main reason for that is holds true for today; I get going good at the beginning of the week then in my head I know that I can do it. So, I stop. I have no justification for this. I full-well know that if I did not have the scale, I would go-go-go until weigh-in day.

The other difference is that I weigh myself in the morning AND at night. Now this started not because I thought I would lose weight from morning to night, but for another reason....I AM a NERD. I was told by a former leader that what I ate today would affect the scale 2 days from now. Here began my weight-tracking. It started off innocent....just once a day. I wanted to see if that really did happen. If I ate horrible on Tuesday, did it really show up on Thursday? Well, for me it depends on WHEN the horrible happened. If it was in the morning then it showed on the scale the next day. If it happened in the evening then it may not show up for 2 days.....Just depended on WHAT I consumed. Alcohol would appear in the morning.

Then this innocent tracking turned into, "wonder how much different my true morning weight is from my evening weight." So, again I began tracking this. Now I track morning and evening weight. Now, I am no ordinary nerd. I have lots of data from this. I could tell you what day of the week is best for me to weigh-in (it is NOT Saturday, BTW). I could tell you what happens to my weight on my "feminine" week. I could tell you that on mornings when I had a decent sleep, I had a better weight loss.

Therefore, this was not me wanting to "go against my own directions" I give to you, but I was data collecting. Good for my mind. Helpful later.

How do these secrets I've shared with you help keep me motivated? I'll tell you. Last year after the launch of the Momentum program I was pumped. I wanted to lose weight. I wanted to look good. I wanted to be sexy. What kept me going everyday was setting mini-goals. My first goal was to get my "nighttime weight" below 155, say. Knowing that if I did that, I would be close to being below that same number for my "morning weight". Next goal: be below 155 in the morning, then 150 at night, 150 in the morning, 145 at night,.....you get the idea. I was setting and achieving mini-goals at least once (sometimes twice) a week.

I NEEDED THOSE MINI-GOALS to keep me going. At this point in my life, I need all the help and motivation I can get. I have something to work towards and the reward is just around the corner.

Tracey commented (the comments are awesome, keep them coming) that she may need to hear something on self-motivation. The other thing that helped me stay motivated was taking the very small sticky notes and placing them EVERYWHERE around my house. They were IN the freezer, IN the cabinets, on the OUTSIDE of the cabinets, ON my computer screen, ON my mirror, ON the outside of the fridge,....(forgetting anyplace KL?). EACH sticky note had my ultimate weight goal on it in big numbers. There was not a place in the house I could go without seeing that number to remind me of what I wanted to accomplish.

Guess I should do that again.

Today's diddy: "Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great." Orison Swett Marden

Love in Losing,
Jenny

2 comments:

infiKnitGirl said...

I don't think I could weigh myself that much...it would make me crazy and I'd become obsessive about it. I do weigh every few days. My hubby and I are signed up to do the GO St. Louis 1/2 Marathon on 4/11. If you want to be part of Team Pentzer, sign up and then let me know and we'll motivate each other. Last night I decided to walk the entire time I was watching biggest loser instead of sit on my booty. So with it recorded on the DVR in the "gym" I walked for 80 minutes, the entire time I watched the show (there's a lot of repeating junk to ff through). Now if I can just keep that up!

Jenny said...

Right. Again, I am a NERD. Data, gotta love it....

Let me check to see if that is my weekend with the kids. Sounds like fun.