Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I Don't NEED dessert.

Do you ever have those "hit you over the head with a 2x4" moments? I had one yesterday. (It was too late for me to get back on the computer to write about it.)

I went out to the garage for something...couldn't tell you what. I saw the container of chocolate chip cookies there on the toolbox. Calling for me. Talking to me. Forcing me to be tempted. I was...tempted.

I did whatever it was that I needed to do out there. Glanced one more time at the box. Reached for it. Touched it. But I did not open the box. From somewhere deep inside, I heard a voice that said, "You are not hungry. You don't need it. You don't even want it. Why would you do that to your efforts?" Alright. It was a gentle 2x4, but nonetheless, it still hit me.

That was the moment that I realized: I don't need dessert. I think I do. Why? Because I have been having it for so long, because my kids eat it (ever so small) or just because it is there? The truth is I DON'T need dessert.

My belly is just fine with dinner. I am not stuffed as once I would have made myself. I am not hungry. I am done with my points for the day. I can push in my chair and begin the clean up. I can go on with my night and it is ok. I am fine without dessert.

On the rare ocassion that I think I need one. I ask myself some more questions:
1. Am I hungry?
2. Do I need it?
3. Do I want it?
4. Can I afford the points today?
5. Is today within 2 days of weigh-in?
6. Can I wait until Saturday?

Today's diddy: "No" is a complete sentence. "No Thank you" is a polite complete sentence.

No comments: