Saturday, December 6, 2008

Motivated to Succeed

I am feeling a little less-than today. I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings. That was NOT my goal. My goal is to make the meeting the best I can for the most number of people that I can. I LOVE working with each of you. I pull for you each week. I am there for you each week to celebrate or talk or both. Whatever you need.

Today I would like to talk about being motivated to succeed. A few of you told me today that you wanted to either quit or that you just did not know what to do anymore. I believe that you will be just as pumped as I am about the new program. Please come back next week to see what all they hype is about. Make a t-shirt with us. See if that helps. Wear the t-shirt whenever you feel like jumping off the wagon (or is it ON the wagon---never could get that straight.) This would force people to ask you about it. You would have to talk about it and own up to it.

A good friend of mine used to say, "Name it. Claim it. and Tame it." Figure out what the problem is...say....munching while cooking dinner. Own up to it. It takes more than just knowing what the problem is, it also takes admiting. They are different. (A lot of times we know what we are doing, we just don't admit to it---and definately not aloud.) Then get it under control. Once you know the problem, it is easy to fix. THAT IS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR!! Everyone in the meeting room can help.

Here are a couple of motivational ideas that have come across "my desk" in the past couple of days:
1.) We could share a journal. I would buy a 3-month journal for the group. Someone would take it home and track in it for one week. The next week someone else would take it home. You know, like kids do with the class pet. This would be a way to share your week with someone, and make your mark on someone else's life. It would also make you MORE accountable, because you know that someone else will be reading what you wrote. Every time you get the journal you can write your own motivational phrases in it or decorate it how you want. Let's talk about this. I like this one.

2.) We could also do an "anchor exchange". I gave each of you a rock. This is important to me, because I always needed to know that I had support. You could come up with your own "anchor" to share with everyone. You would leave the meeting that day with a number of anchors for you to chose from to use anytime or anymood you want. Let me know what you think of this idea.

3.) Share an idea here ________________________________________. (See comment icon at the bottom.)

The other thing on my mind is your mind. What the scale says on Saturday morning for you may be a reason to celebrate or mourn. This only needs to happen for a short period of time. I love you, but it should not set your mood for the whole day. When I ask you, "How are you?", what I really mean is "How are you?" Truely. If I wanted to know how you were going to feel after you stepped on the scale, I would ask you, "How are you going to feel after you step on the scale?".

I will be there for you no matter how you react when you step on, then off. I will be your biggest chearleader, or a shoulder to cry on. Whatever you need. Please, try not to let that set your mood for the whole day. OK? Instead, use it as a motivational tool for yourself. If you did well this week, pump yourself up to keep going. If you did not do so well, shake it off and start over. Today is a new day.

Remind me Saturday to share a recipe with you......

Today's diddy: "If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.

1 comment:

momofts said...

I vote for Pass the Journal. That would really hit home! You are not offensive, you are an awesome leader!