Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Portions are a Wonderful thing.

Do you have problems packing your lunch every day? I feel like I do. I enjoy eating a whole wheat pita stuffed with veggies, lined with "cow cheese", as we call it around here. However, I do not like to prepare that each morning when I am on a strict time schedule. (I suppose I could save that for the weekends.) The whole thing is only 2 points.

This is what I have been doing instead: making a meal, low enough in calories/fat that when portioned it is either 3 or 4 points. I package the portions in my old DeliSelect gladware and I am good for a week or more, depending. --Those gladwares last and last even through the dishwasher and microwave.

Meal one: Tuna, chips casserole. 8 portions = 3 points each. Mix 2 cans tuna, 1 can peas, 1 C. milk, 2 cans cream of mushroom soup (lowest fat of course), and 2 C. (lowest point) potato chips. Sprinkle 1/2 C. chips over the top. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. a-ha.

Meal two: Poor Man's Stew, as one member calls it. 1/2 cup portions = 3 points each. Heat green beans, kielbasa and 5-6 new potatoes. Serve when warm. I flavor with bacon grease. I am not sure how accurate this is, but I count the grease like I would butter. 1T = 2 points.

Meal three: Warning: This makes a LOT of food. 11 servings = 4 points each at 1/2 cup. Chicken fried rice. Make and cool 4 C. rice. Make and crumble 1 pound of bacon. Make and chop into bite size peices of chicken breast. Scramble 12 eggs. Set all ingredients aside. Saute green onions in a bit of olive oil. Add rice and fried rice seasoning. Add the rest, one ingredient at a time. Serve when warm enough.

The best part is that Kevin (he's the husband) won't eat meal number one or two, so my lunch is always in the fridge.

This seems to be just enough of a variety that I don't get bored, and there always seems to be a party in my mouth as I savor each delicious bite.

Today's diddy: "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."--author unknown

1 comment:

momofts said...

Thanks for adding the recipes. I have been thinking of what to make this week. My goal is to PLAN AHEAD! especially since I have 'the jounal' this week! I am going shopping tonight and will be ready:) Lisa